US Dept’s of Agriculture and Health and Human Services Guidelines to Help Americans Make Healthier Food Choices and Confront Obesity Epidemic
• Avoid oversized portions.
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
• Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with
• Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease.
The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population, including children, and the majority of adults.
US Dept’s of Agriculture and Health and Human Services Guidelines