And you may think you’re lucky to have a “desk job”.
Enjoy it, but please BE CAREFUL!
Sitting for long periods of time is HARD on your body.
“Excessive sitting is a lethal activity,” says Dr. James Levine, Mayo Clinic.
- It strains the back.
- Metabolism slows.
- Good cholesterol decreases.
- Increases risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
- Lose your desk chair
- Stand at your desk – obviously you need to get a standing desk.
- Get an exercise ball – sitting on it requires more energy and uses your back and abdominal muscles in a way that chairs don’t.
- Buy a $4,000 treadmill desk? See the NY Times article; link below.
- Move around A LOT!
- Program your watch, cell phone, or computer to beep at certain intervals to remind you.
- Stand up when you talk on the phone or are reading hard copy.
- Visit co workers instead of calling or emailing. Get them to walk around or outside the building with you. Have your meeting walking.
- Take short walk breaks several times a day.